Warehousing for Truckers and the Benefits
In Canada, the processed food and beverage industry is the second largest industry. The value of manufactured goods production topped $105 billion in 2014. Trucking keeps the economy moving and as Vancouver island trucking companies are aware: good warehousing makes possible brisk business.
The following four tips to consider when choosing the right warehousing facility.
- Are you covered? Your product, merchandise, freight and extra inventory should be protected against natural and man-made events, such as flooding, fire, and theft. Make sure you find a company that will insure against these potential risks. Of course, island trucking companies are wise to maintain insurance, but a bonded warehousing company can protect your product further. Trucking companies have their responsibilities and warehousing companies have theirs.
- Terms of the lease. It is important to read and understand the lease terms. Not unlike renting an apartment, once you are contractually obligated you do not want to be surprised by the small print. Also, be aware of the circumstances and procedures in the event you need to break your lease duration.
- What are their rates? This may seem obvious, but many people do not understand the terms of their lease nor do they understand what they are paying for. Do not be one of those people. You should know what is included and not included. In other words, what are your dollars getting in return.
- Location of warehouse
- Warehouse staffing
- Facility size and storage capacity
- What are their hours of operation?
- Turning lane widths, and
- Maintenance support
- Security features
- Location, location, location. You may find a warehousing company that has good facilities and provides good service, but is its location advantageous? Is it relatively close to your base of operations? Are the access roads in good condition and maintained well? How about access to the nearest airport and/or port? These are questions to consider when thinking about location.</li
Note that you can use a freight broker service to help you identify reputable warehousing companies in your area.
Island trucking companies for whom warehousing facilities are set are more likely to deliver merchandise on time, which will keep the trucking operation running smoothly and profitably. Make sure all of your logistics, operations, and storage needs are met with the help of an outstanding warehousing facility.